Monday, October 28, 2013

Committee Appointments

I was officially sworn-in as a Councillor today.  The work begins now and I'm very much looking forward to the challenges that lie before me!

One of my goals over the next four years is to be as open and transparent as possible.  Throughout the election, I received numerous positive comments on my blog posts whether people agreed with them or not.  I plan on continuing to keep everyone updated and informed through these posts, as well as through my Facebook and Twitter accounts.  What better time to start than Day 1:

I was also appointed to a number of committees today which I will serve on for at least the next two years.  I've included the list below with a brief description of each.

Community Living Committee

Standing committee of Council that works with the following City departments: Parks, Aquatics & Wellness, Transit, Culture & Heritage, Recreation & Sport, and Community Social Development.

Corporate Services Committee

Standing committee of Council that works with Finance, Purchasing, Legislative Services, ITS, Fleet, Facility Maintenance, and everyone's favourite, Assessment & Taxation.

Arts Development Committee

I will chair this committee which provides funding to arts groups in the community as well as looking for opportunities to grow Grande Prairie's arts scene.

City/County Joint Recreation Committee

Will get to work with the County in planning recreational infrastructure and programming in the region.

Grande Prairie Airport Commission

Planning for the future of our airport while providing oversight to current operations.

Subdivision & Development Appeal Board (SDAB)

The SDAB is a quasi-judicial board that hears appeals regarding decisions made by the City's subdivision and development authorities and renders decisions based on the evidence presented.

In addition to my role on these committees, I will also serve as a Council representative on three external boards: the Centre for Research and Innovation (GPRC), the South Peace Regional Archives Society Board, and the Wapiti Corridor Planning Group Steering Committee.

I look forward to sharing more details with you as the term progresses.  Please feel free to contact me at any time with your thoughts or any questions you may have.

2 comments:

  1. Nine committee's and boards. Wow! Did each councillor get this amount?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walter,
      Each Councillor was appointed to either one or two standing committees and then the rest were divided from there. You can find the full committee appointment list here:
      http://www.cityofgp.com/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=9299

      Delete