We had to make a lot of hard choices today, but I am pleased with the overall outcome of our budget.
Here is a list of the funding we approved:
- Crystal Centre Truss & Rigging upgrades - $2.66 million
- Leisure Centre upgrades - $2 million (brings total amount to $6 million)
- Northern Alberta Youth Entrepreneur Camp - $10,000
- 100th Anniversary Funding - $250,000
- Grande Prairie Boys Choir - $11,000
- Grande Prairie Sports Council -$75,000
- New Off Leash Dog Areas -$68,000
- Hillside Social Housing demolition project - $300,000
- Eastlink/Gymniks parking - $2.03 million
- Football field beside new high school - $2.74 million
- Odyssey House Second stage shelter - $700,000 (over two years)
- GP and Area Safe Communities - $10,000
- 101 Ave Extension (98st to 97 a St.) & Lights - $850,000
- 124 St. Paving - $2.5 million
- Intersection upgrades $300,000
- Manhole & Catch basin replacement - $100,000
- Replacement of old bridge on Muskoseepi Trails - $300,000
- 92 St. Twinning design - $200,000
- Pedestrian trail along 108th St.. (between 68th and 76th ave.) - $300,000
After the dust settled, we were looking at a 2.4% tax increase. Not ideal in my mind, but less than the 3.3% increase that was originally budgeted for and a far cry from the 7-10% increases we saw a few years ago.
I am very pleased with the projects that have gone ahead. I believe they will have a very positive impact on the future of our city and will help ensure our residents thrive!